That is right, we aren’t home. Well, the boys are home. Aunt Julie and Uncle Andy are with them and they are probably having the time of their lives. But we the parents have flown the coop for a short getaway. This is the first time in 9 years that we have been away from our kids for more than one night. They boys don’t even seem to miss us. Aunt Julie must be good. Or they were glad to get rid of us.
The occasion for our getaway you ask? This summer marks our 10 year anniversary. Our dream trip would have been to go to Croatia, where Bryan served his mission for our church for two years when he was 19 and 20. But the reality is that we are not ready to fly to Europe ($$$$$$$) AND leave our kids home with a sitter for that long yet (cause who goes to Europe for 3 or 4 days?.. it would have to be at least 10 days for me to go and I am not ready to leave the kiddos that long yet) . So the compromise was that we would leave for 4 nights to someplace closer to home. We tried to go to Victoria, BC, Canada, but they changed the border crossing rules as of June 1st, 2009 and we weren’t able to get proper documents in time (headache!). So we settled on the Olympic Peninsula and are renting a cabin up here in Port Ludlow on the waterfront of the Hood Canal.
Trip Highlights so far:
- We actually drove out to White Salmon, WA on Saturday to look at houses that would be in our price range in case we actually wanted to move out there to shorten Bryan’s commute to work (the hour and ten minute drive each way will get tiresome in the bad weather). The choices are pretty bleak- I almost cried at one of them because it was so awful. We thought we would try to stay out there overnight and check out the ward (LDS church congregation) too but all the hotels were full or way too overpriced so we drove back to Vancouver and stayed at a nice hotel in town overnight. It was so nice to not have to get up with the kids and get breakfast going and make sure they get baths and all the other stuff that normally happens in a day with kids.
- Now we have driven a few hundred miles without anyone arguing in the backseat,
- Nor have we dealt with anyone complaining about the snacks,
- And we have napped unmolested on the couch. It is quiet here. Bliss. Sweet bliss.
- We rode our bikes around the neighborhood near the beach house we are staying at and actually saw a deer, complete with antlers and everything, in an quiet lot just chomping away at the overgrown grass. He didn’t even run off when we approached him and started taking pictures. * Note: the pictures didn’t really turn out- sorry, it was too dark already for our camera to do well.
- We also watched a little bit of TV that was not PBS kids. That was weird, and refreshing.
Becky June 18, 2009 at 3:26 p.m.
Ooh, nice, enjoy your little vacation!
I forgot that Bryan served his mission in Croatia. My aunt and uncle just went there for a mission (I think they left June 8). If he has any advice for them, let me know!
Kate June 20, 2009 at 8:10 p.m.
Oh, sounds romantic!! Have fun!