We had a big surprise happen yesterday. After I got up in the morning I keep feeling like I was having small trickling “accidents.” Being 34 weeks pregnant, it was not entirely impossible that I could be having incontinence problems, but knowing that I kept going to the bathroom and barely anything would come out, I got a bit nervous that I might have a leak in my amniotic fluid. Bryan urged me to call the doctor. He was scheduled to leave town the next day for scout camp and he wanted to err on the safe side and make sure he was not leaving his wife with potential pregnancy problems while he was a few hours away. So I did call and they told me to go get checked out in the hospital. The word HOSPITAL sounded big and scary and like they were overreacting, but rather than ignore their suggestion, which I really felt like doing, I did go in. Ok and truth be told, my doctor’s office is on the third floor of the same building that the labor and delivery department of the hospital is in. So I was really just driving to the same place. But oh that second floor where labor and delivery is seems scary to girl a who still has 6 weeks until her due date.

Bryan worked from home that morning so he could stay with the boys while I drove myself to the hospital to make sure this was a false alarm. All the way over there I kept thinking this has to be a false alarm, I really can’t have a leak in my amniotic fluid. I had done nothing strenuous to cause such a leak. I mean getting out of bed while all huge and awkwardly pregnant 4 times a night to use the bathroom is hard, but not THAT hard. Besides, I have no plans in place for what to do with the kids if I really have to have this baby today. Where will we send them? This really can’t be real. This HAS to be a false alarm. I must have a leaky bladder, one more part of me must be falling apart…

After I got to the hospital they did these tests and did everything they could to prove it was not amniotic fluid, but alas it was. So I asked the nurse working me if I needed to go on bedrest and she said, no you are having a baby today. I teared up and poetically said “crap.” That was not in my plans. Once your water breaks, you have to have the baby within 24 hours. Being rather shocked, my brain turned to thoughts that somehow this will have to work out. I was so not ready for labor. They started my induction right as I called Bryan to say that we are having a baby today. Within a few minutes of my call to Bryan to tell him the news that a baby was in our immediate plans for the day, a sweet woman in our ward called to say she felt impressed to call and see if we needed anything today and ask if I was doing all right. Bryan told her that she must be very in tune with the spirit because my water had broken and that I was already at the hospital and we needed someone to help with our other children so he could go join me. Immediately plans were made for them to go spend the night at her house and other people were called to help take care of them during the times she was unavailable. We were taken care of right away. OK, so I have to say this is my favorite part of being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. When there is a need, it can really get taken care of quickly, and sometimes before you even know you have a need!

I was not excited to have to go through labor so soon. I was thrilled to not have to spend my whole hot summer pregnant, but I knew I did not want the risks that come with having a premature baby. Honestly, I was rather ticked about the whole thing! I did not want to be induced because I know from experience it feels much worse than going into labor naturally. I was also mad because we did not have a name picked out yet. And I was mad because the little contractions hurt a ton thanks to the induction drugs and my epidural did not work very well just like the last time I was induced so I was actually not pleasant to be around due to my pain level and the grumpiness that resulted from it. And add to it that my doctor came in at 10 am after they started me on pitocin to say hi and that she was leaving town for vacation at 1pm so someone else was going to deliver the baby if I did not have the baby by then. And this someone was not at the hospital just hanging around waiting for my baby to be born but was around town and on call and that I would like him… knowing that my previous births went really quick once I reached a 6, I was kinda mad that this guy wasn’t hanging around the hospital. The last two births the doctor barely made it… Let’s just say it was not my lucky day.

So once I reached a 6 around 7:00 pm I told the nurse that the doctor better get here fast. She said she would call him, and she wandered off… It was shift change time darn it. She had other things to take care of right then. So as the pain level increased and I progressed really fast, and I started being a bit too mean while telling them to get the doctor there, they actually started getting everyone together… Did I say that labor hurts? Because it really does… A lot…. Anyhow, the doctor finally got there at 7: 38 in shorts, a t-shirt, flip flops, and a baseball cap and the baby was delivered 3 minutes later at 7:41. Let me just tell you it is hard NOT TO PUSH when your epidural is not working. The doctor barely had time to wash his hands and throw on a gown over his clothes before catching little boy blue.

We were expecting a little pip squeak of a baby since he was 34 weeks along. We expected at most 4.5 pounds and when I got him out after three quick pushes the first words out of my mouth were “He’s huge!” Very poetic I know. But he was. He weighed in at 6 lbs 10 oz and was 18 in long. That is huge for a boy who is 5.5 weeks early!

He was having some breathing troubles right off so they took him off to the nursery right away to work their magic and he seems to be doing great. He has not needed oxygen and he is on an IV in an incubator and reports are that he acts more like a 36 week baby than a 34 week baby. He needs to be able to eat and maintain his body temperature before we can take him home. We are so pleased that he is doing well.

Now that all the initial excitement is over, I can honestly say that I am so glad to not be pregnant anymore and having a preemie is so easy because the nursery staff takes care of him in every way while I rest and pump and recover. And I don’t have to be pregnant all the hot summer long! So as unexpected as this was, I am glad it is over! And knowing that we are all healthy makes me not feel guilty at all for being so thrilled that little boy blue is here, and early to boot.

Just for the record, we have not decided on a name yet. We are in negotiations as I write this. Just remember, I was supposed to have a few more weeks before D-Day to narrow the pickings down to a name that is right for this boy.

With the first three boys, I knew exactly what day they would be born on before hand and they were each about 2 weeks early. It was basically mother’s intuition that told me the day. With this boy, I just did not know the day. I kept trying to figure it out, but alas I could not this time. If I had known the day before hand I may have died of anxiety. So thank heavens it is over and that I did not know the day this time around!


Dad Murdock June 25, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.

This is the time that we jump in the car and drive to Vancouver.... But you are not in Vancouver any more. Thank the Lord for great neighbors.

Jennifer Wise June 25, 2010 at 4:25 p.m.

Congratulations! What a story! I'm glad all is well. Sorry it didn't go as well as you would have liked (I would have freaked out about all that!) but I'm glad that your friend from the ward was in tune and that the baby is doing well AND that you don't have to be pregnant during the summer. Hooray!

Kelley Larsen June 25, 2010 at 8:19 p.m.

Congratulations! We're so happy for you guys! Can't wait to see pics of that beautiful boy. Much love to you all!!! XOXOXOXO's!

Rachel Morrill June 25, 2010 at 10:09 p.m.

Holy cow, congrats! When I started reading I had no idea it was the birth story! I'm so glad he's doing so well! And definitely great to not have to be pregnant throughout the hot Utah summer! Yay!

Molly Curtis June 26, 2010 at 1:48 a.m.

So glad to hear that, though it was a surprise, it went well. Congratulations and good luck on the naming. Amaleki is always a great name. So is Lamoni (he he). Glad to hear he's so healthy. Can't wait to see him in two years. Yeah for the Church.