Since the baby started nursing on Saturday, we decided it would be easiest to have me do a “Hotel Stay” at the hospital so I can be with Davis and nurse him every 3 hours. I am still on lovely pain medications so I can’t drive myself around so this just makes things much easier for Bryan, who has been a fabulous taxi driver, dad, and husband for the past few days, but is getting rather tired from doing everything at once all day long. So after I got discharged from the hospital officially, I was able to just stay in my room, without nurses coming to visit and without food service, just so I can be near the baby for a low price of $30 per day. So the amenities are great (shower, toilet, sink, bed, chairs what more could I need?), there is a cafeteria in the hospital I get to use lest you think I will go hungry, and the “commute” from here to “work” – AKA the special care nursery- is only about 100 ft. I have stayed one night and possibly I will stay tonight also. We are taking this one day at a time really. The more I nurse Davis, the faster he will likely get strong enough to come home, so I may hang out here for a while.

Davis is doing amazing and nursing really well. I am also pumping and he has taken what I have to offer via bottle rather than a tube feeding which is also fabulous. We have had low expectations for his feeding and have been really surprised by how well he is doing. It takes lots of energy to eat so we won’t expect him to be a fabulous nurser every time yet. He is a bit jaundiced so he has to go under the billi lights here in the nursery which is just fine because he is already here so he just will hang out under those while he sleeps between feedings. The nurses removed his IV this morning but have still left the “IV stuff” in so he can go back on it if he needs to. He has not started gaining weight back yet and he has to do that also to be able to go home. I am not sure what other milestones he needs to pass in order to be able to come home so I have no predictions yet on when he will be discharged.

As far as how I am doing, I am l fine. I slept really well last night and got a 5 hour stretch while the nurses bottle fed Davis at 3 am. I have been napping, pumping, watching infomercials on the tv because that is just about all that is on here, reading, resting, and exercising. In case you are wondering, walking to the nursery is my exercise. And going to the cafeteria is my vigorous exercise! And doing all that actually poops me out!

As far as the rest of the family goes, Bryan is really tired and I think the boys are too. The boys have gone to several different homes over the last few days and I think they are going to be glad to just stay home today and rest. Bryan seems pretty happy to not have to drive them to each new place and run home to feed them and put them to bed as well as take care of some of my needs. The man has been super busy!

So that is about all we have to report for today! Thank you again to all of you who have helped us out in these past few days! We have been super blessed at this crazy time.



Melinda June 27, 2010 at 1:13 p.m.

I am glad to hear you both are doing so well. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be going back and forth with everyone. Sounds like Davis is doing well though and will not have to stay too long. We are thinking about you guys.

Dad Murdock June 27, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.

Thank you for the update and the good news. You all are in our prayers

Rachel Morrill June 28, 2010 at 1:38 p.m.

I was under the impression that preemies pretty much never caught on to nursing, that's so great that he's doing so well! Also, this is the first time I heard his name, and I like it! When my boys were little, that's what Ryan (probably 2 at the time) called David. It was super cute!