You may recall back in January that my project at work was cancelled. About a month later I was offered a position with HP, but as you can imagine, in that month’s time I hadn’t been sitting around waiting for HP. One of the companies that I started talking to during that time recently made me a job offer. I had a difficult choice to make, but a very good kind of difficult. I like to have options. There were some important considerations that went into the decision, and I won’t go into all the detailed pros and cons that we weighed here, but after some serious deliberations and prayer, Ily and I decided to have me accept the job offer.
I will be working for Insitu Inc. writing software to make Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) fly. In talking with the people there it sounds like I’ll have a chance to do some hardware design as well (FPGAs, if you really want to know). I’ve wanted to stay in the realm of electro-mechanical systems (what I like to call, robots), and this job looks like it will be right in there. The company is doing well (they are hiring!) and the UAV market is growing. The one downside is they are located about an hour from our house. We don’t plan to move right away, but it is going to be a little too far for me to ride my bike.
My start date at Insitu is April 20th. Until then I’ll be helping HP out with some crunch-time work and shopping for a car.
Spence April 2, 2009 at 10:25 a.m.
It sounds like a cool job. Let me know how you like it.
Julie April 2, 2009 at 12:49 p.m.
Sounds very exciting!
Leann April 2, 2009 at 1:33 p.m.
Well, I'm super glad that you got a job! I know we had layoffs and usually people can find other jobs within the company, but there just wasn't anything this time around.
Cameron April 2, 2009 at 2:32 p.m.
Congrats! I know you have been wanting to escape HP for a while. :)
shannon April 2, 2009 at 2:54 p.m.
congrats on the new job!
Oh my, that commute! Hopefully you find a car soon. :)
Melinda April 3, 2009 at 9:20 a.m.